Friday, October 2, 2009

We are not the sum total of our parts. We are more!

I just finished viewing some funny pictures on the web. Many of them were oh so funny! But I noticed a disproportionate amount of pictures were of women having their bodies ogled and generally putting themselves in sad situations. Those were not funny at all.

Here's an open-ended question. Who told these women that were worth only the sum total of the their body parts? I say it is open ended since there isn't a real answer. They were told by everyone at one time or another. I know, because I had one of those bodies, for a great many years. I spent more time trading on my looks than developing my character. For whatever reason I decided that my character wasn't enough. I have no answer. No one sat me down and said that I was all about my body. It just evolved. And my body, as a whole, wasn't even "traffic stopping" perfect. But the sum total was. I had the parts, and I had a mixed understanding of modesty. I covered everything, but I covered myself in a way that said "unwrap me," not in a way that said "my beauty is the strength of my heart, and my ability to love."

When I was plain I got ignored. When I was "hot" people listened to my message. Funny, after marrying a chef and having babies, I am no longer "hot," yet my message is better. I love more deeply and more freely. I was even told, more than once, that my old message was more palatable since it was wrapped in a pretty package.

My message has improved and my looks have aged. Those who matter listen to my message now. All of those people who "heard" my old message are long gone. Oh how I wish I could talk to my younger self and save her so much heart-ache! Those who matter want to know YOU, not your body! They are the ones who stay for good.

No comments: