Sunday, October 4, 2009

Miscarriage

A good friend of mine had a miscarriage last week. She has struggled to conceive so this was profoundly rough on her. I have been doing what I can to support yet trying to keep my distance in other ways. I don't want to try to make her mourn on my terms. I see that in others around her and I know I have that same capacity. We all do. We say, "Oh my gosh get over it!" somewhere in the back of our minds. WHY??

Because in this culture of death we are all affected by the idea that a baby in utero is not "quite a baby yet." This person, is the size of a grain of rice. We, as a culture, have determined worth by size. A football player must be huge, a model must be tall and skinny. A baby must be baby-sized to be considered a person.

But the real answer is that science just keeps catching up with natural law. As science gets better and better, we will know sooner that a life exists. As science gets better and better we will be able to have an image of a developing baby like any other real-time photo. As science gets better and better we will be able to help even the most at risk pregnancies carry to term. And as science gets better and better it will be realized that the womb is a sacred space; the best possible environment for a baby to grow. Because science will never surpass the natural design.

As we begin to escape the culture of death we will start to see the sanctity of life. And finally women, and men, mourning a miscarriage will be treated with the respect they deserve. They will be given a full acknowledgment of a death in the family. We will give them them the love and support they so deserve. To those who say that the Church has enmity to science, they couldn't be more wrong. The research constantly proves the design. So I say to the real scientists, (not the ones who oppose ethical research) but to the scientists I say, "Please keep the research coming." We will all benefit. Life begins at conception, and science keeps proving it over and over.

No comments: