Thursday, March 10, 2011

More Blue, Less Pink

This page is, well, very pink. I have seriously considered making it more red instead. Red is my favorite color, but I didn't want the page to look so dark, so I chose pink. But recently, I find that I am not reaching fully half of my target demographic. What man wants to read a page, or worse yet, be caught reading a page, that is bright pink!? So my color scheme might change. I want to speak to men too. After all, my husband is also a former contracepter. Men have just as much in this as women do, except they are often told they can't have an opinion because they don't have to carry the baby. Those people are wrong. God's design is right. If men carried babies the human race would not survive. But men have sex. That means they need a voice in this.

I really want to reach men about contraception. I asked my husband what it would take to reach men. His answer: "You, and an 8 hour conversation about marriage and sex." (He is referring to our first date. Yes, I kept him talking for 8 hours, and yes, he eventually married me anyway.) But I was still fairly lost even myself, at that point. I still didn't have all the facts yet. We learned a lot of them together.

I thought of all of this because of a young man I met in L.A., in January. He is a graduate of a prestigious Technical college in his area. He is quite brilliant; in fact brilliant enough to know when he doesn't have the answer. So when he found out what I do, writing and speaking on overcoming contraception, he asked a few questions about the Pill. I was happy to answer and prayed that I did not let my mack-truck personality roll over him. He had only recently heard that it could act as an abortifacient. I gave him the details for it being called a "contraceptive" because pregnancy had been redefined as being implantation instead of conception. He was certainly smart enough to see the sleight of hand in that wording, so he was a bit shocked. I clarified that is also can function as a contraceptive by preventing ovulation and impeding sperm migration. Well, that information led to the more important part of our short conversation.

This young man is your basic secular man. He lives with his girlfriend. They may or may not get married depending on their future plans and circumstances. They are very nice people. The couple has very different morals than I do. But I begin my conversations in love and friendship. They were kind and welcoming, and he asked the questions. "How does it prevent it? What does 'impede sperm migration' mean?" It was an open door. I walked through it. His expressions were priceless.

The language of sperm as swimmers and cervical mucous as a river was pretty entertaining. He didn't know "that stuff," (his words) had a purpose. By the end, he still had questions. But they were educated questions. I think the parts that stuck out to him were about sex drives and libido. I saw him staring across the room at her when I told him that being artificially infertile meant the woman has a lower sex drive. He was confused at first until I said, "You are fertile 24/7. And your sex drive is?"

And he answered "24/7!" I explained that a woman is only fertile for about 48 hours with the fertile hormones leading up from about a week before. So his next question had him wide eyed. "So a woman on the Pill is never fertile and has the sex drive to match?"

My answer: "Sadly yes, except when ovulation breaks through. Then, she usually can't keep her hands off of her man."

He looked across at her again. She noticed that time and asked what we were talking about. His answer was basically, "I'll tell you later."

I pray and hope that I reached him. I still hope that they will find the joy and blessings of marriage. I hope that they will be brought to the Truth by first seeing through the lies of contraception. His name is Mike. Please pray for him.

No comments: