Thursday, April 22, 2010

Movie Woes

I just watched the movie "The Handmaid's Tale." That is two hours of my life that I will never get back. I cannot begin to describe the awfulness. It is based on a book that seems to be required reading for high school students. Every single thing in the story is against everything I stand for. The "good guys" and the "bad guys." Everyone is completely misguided about sexuality.

The bad guys are sterile fundamentalists who use "breeders." These are the handmaids. I can't begin to tell the story since it is so depraved. The "good guys" find comfort in promiscuity. They are the rebels.

Neither side values monogamy. It seems to be looked at as not natural. The supposed fundamentalists value concubines and the rebels seem to think that monogamy can't be done. I can't really write anything coherent about this awful story tonight. I just didn't want to forget.

It was written by a feminist in 1985. The whole story is degrading to authentic womanhood.

No comments: